Last night was a very exciting night for this reader. I went to a talk by/with Jasper Fforde at my local (and very favourite) Waterstones on Birmingham New Street.
I can honestly say he’s a very entertaining speaker, and just as funny in real life as he is on the page.
Some stuff I found interesting
- The nursery crime series were written before Thursday Next, I had always presumed they were spin-offs
- Jasper Fforde never plans his books (this is quite encouraging to someone like me who hates planning their writing), and where things seem very planned out it’s usually that he’s just left some loose ends just incase he needs them later
- The Eyre Affair was only originally meant to be a stand-alone book but the publisher asked for more. One Of Our Thursdays is Missing is the only one (at least so far) that is really a sequel as in your couldn’t understand it if your hadn’t read previous Thursday Next books.
- Jasper often gets the root idea of stories from what if? questions (I cannot for the life of me think of what he called them, narrative somethings….see no plans when writing or I would have known that!)
- He is currently working on the next book in The Last Dragonslayer series…which I haven’t read yet.
- The next Shades of Grey book won’t be out until 2013 😦
I am really excited about the prospect of reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing now…but reading First Among Sequels first may be helpful!
- The Big Over Easy- Jasper Fforde (lucybirdbooks.wordpress.com)
- Shades of Grey- Jasper Fforde (lucybirdbooks.wordpress.com)